Tuesday 3 March 2015

Downward growing Cattelya?

Early March 2015.  This cattleya is producing another large shoot.




Late October 2014.  The flower had a gorgeous combination of colours - a real WOW, but sadly it had various deformities which soon became obvious when it was fully opened.  Sadly the column never fully opened up either.  However it has a wonderfully delicate scent to it.


The nearly fully open flower with it's striking combination of colours

The fully opened flower with it's defects



Early October 2014.  Can't remember exactly when I purchased this orchid but it has been growing very steadily and I have had to add more and more of a support for it as with each successive leaf, it seems to get larger and larger.

Also, it seems that what I didn't realise till recently is that the new growth tends to hang downwards... I actually turned it on it's side at one point in the hope that the leaves would grown upwards (I thought that they were growing sideways because of the direction of the light) but the latest new growth is now hanging downwards again... I have to admit, I probably should not have messed around with the direction as the overall shape of the plant is rather chaotic, probably because I changed it's direction :(

Today I got a big surprise when I looked inside the new leaf - I discovered 2 rather well-formed buds emerging!  I was beginning to lose hope of ever seeing any flowers from this plant after so long so this is a welcome development!  I think that moving it so a much brighter location has made the difference.  Now looking forward to seeing what colour and type the flowers are.


January 2013



August 2013
October 2014

Surprise!


No comments:

Post a Comment