Thursday 28 August 2014

Tolumnia ??

Late August 2014.  This has suffered terribly in the heat of summer.  I think I made the mistake of removing the extra moss that I had put on because I was worried it was stifling the roots... I'm hoping against hope that it will still be able to survive now that I've moved it to a more sheltered location and added a bit more moss...



May 2014.  I thought these were called "Pink Panthers" but it seems I am wrong... still trying to find out what they are actually called!


April 2014.  The long awaited flowers have finally opened on the first flower stem!


First flower stalk now in bloom

Close-up of the stunning Pink flowers!




March 2014.

March 2014 - 4 flower shoots emerging!



August 2013.  
This is a very striking orchid which reminded me of the common Golden Showers but it's colours are much more vibrant and it has a great name!

Having enjoyed the orchids which I bought in 2012 from the HK Flower Show, I decided to buy a few more in 2013 as well.  There is always one particular shop at the Show which sells more unusual orchids.  This time, however, they did not have such a large shop and not quite as varied a selection.  I was looking particularly for the epiphytic orchids which grow on bark or substrate which can be hung up.  
The striking pink flowers are borne on a long stem coming from the plant on the right.

A close up of the fascinating pink flowers...
While the flowers are very showy, the leaves of the plant seem quite plain but on a closer look, they are actually quite fleshy and are slightly triangular in cross section - quite different from the Oncidium species which the golden showers are from.  They also don't have any pseudobulbs - at least not that have developed so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment