Wednesday 6 May 2015

Spoils from the Flower Market

May 2015.  Asked my family to let me buy my own presents (orchids, naturally!) this year so I finally had a shopping trip to the Prince Edward Flower Market to get my stash!  Here's what I got:

Dendrobium Spatulata or Antelope Dendrobium
I love the unique colours and shapes of this dendrobium!  I had seen this species in the Singapore Botanical Gardens orchid garden before - the unique twisted petals are so unusual.  I particularly like this one too because of the purplish details on the lip and I like the combination of colours with the greyish brown on the petals.  Very special.  Got it at a reduced price too because the flowers were beginning to drop... a great buy overall - now to hopefully keep it alive!

Epidendrum Floribundum x Encyclia cordigera
Another beautifully unique colour combination on this one - the green petals are so fresh especially when contrasted with the pink.  Would never have thought that this was an "epi" as it doesn't have the typical "reed-stem" foliage but the much more normal orchid pseudo-bulb configuration.  This also has a really lovely scent which perfumes the area around it!

Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi x amboinensis
This is an unusual Phalaenopsis because it doesn't have the "moth" (or "butterfly" in Chinese) flower shape.  But the colouring combination again is very attractive to me - the yellow-brown "tiger" petal colouring with the very bright white almost T-shaped lip.  It is also mounted growing upside down.  Not sure if that is really it's habit or just the way the person mounted it... 

Peloric Phalaenopsis

I didn't take notice of this orchid when I was looking at the mass of plants in the shop because it has very "typical" colouring which I'm not that keen about.  But I did a double take when I looked at it more closely!  It seemed to be a 3 lipped orchid!  After much googling and searching, thinking it was somehow 3 flowers fused together, I finally discovered that it is a sort of mutant Phalaenopsis where the 2 upper side petals mimic the lip.  Very bizarre and a bit weird.  I wasn't going to actually buy it but they shop lady threw it in free because I bought quite a number of orchids from her.  I guess that is because it's not that popular!


Finally, 2 Tolumnia-hybrids which were again being sold very cheaply because the flowers were beginning to fade.  I am still in mourning over killing my first very pretty pink tolumnia which I have not been able to replace... I thought I would console myself with these even though they are not as unique :(

Couldn't resist buying some cut flowers too amongst the vast spread I had to walk past on the way to and from buying the orchids...

Gerberas

Water Lilies
Update: Sadly the water lilies didn't open at all and the stems just got very soggy in the water.  The shopkeeper told me it needed a lot of water, which I gave it, including spraying it to mimic the humid environment it grows in.  But no joy.  Next time (if I ever attempt this again) I will have to ask them what the trick is.







No comments:

Post a Comment